How to retrieve deleted excel sheetPosted: June 6, 2012
I have accidentally deleted excel files from my hard drive, which had some important information related to my business. Is there any way by which I can retrieve deleted excel files from my hard drive?
Microsoft Excel is a popular spreadsheet program commonly used to store financial data. Microsoft Excel saves files in .xls and.xlsx file format. Excel program can perform simple to complex numerical operations including graphing using charts, sorting and filtering the data to locate particular information. It allows you to change the data and quickly view recalculated results. But, data loss due to human mistakes has an effect on every person who make use of computers to store their confidential files. Accidental deletion is one of the most common causes for data loss.
There are different possible ways to delete files from your hard drive.
- Deleting files using context menu
- Deleting files using “Delete” key of your keyboard
- Deleting files using Shift+Del keys
- Deleting files from Recycle Bin using its context menu
- Emptying the Recycle Bin
In some situations, you can restore deleted files using Recycle Bin. In some cases, you cannot restore deleted files from Recycle Bin and in such case, you need third party recovery software to retrieve deleted files from your hard drive. Therefore, before judging the consequences, it’s better to know how exactly you have deleted the files from hard drive so that you can restore it using appropriate method.
- Have you deleted your excel files using “Delete” button from your keyboard or by using context menu?
When files are deleted using either context menu or “Delete” button of keyboard, they are not permanently removed from your hard drive instead, they are moved to a folder called as Recycle Bin. Recycle Bin is a temporary storage area for deleted files. It holds your deleted files until they are manually removed from Recycle Bin. If you have deleted your excel files using “Delete” button or context menu then you can easily restore those files using “Restore” option from your Recycle Bin.
- Have you deleted files using Shift+Del keys or the file which you have deleted is larger than the Recycle Bin size?
When you delete files using Shift+Del keys, they bypasses the Recycle Bin rather than moving to the Recycle Bin. If you have accidentally deleted your excel file using Shift+Del keys then you cannot find it in Recycle Bin. Similarly, if the size of files that you have accidentally deleted is larger than the Recycle Bin size then it does not move to the Recycle Bin.
Sometimes, you may not find deleted files in your Recycle Bin even if you simply delete those files using context menu. The main reason behind this is that you might have enabled “Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted” option. Therefore, when you delete files using context menu or “Delete” button, they does not move to Recycle Bin. In these cases, you need third party recovery software to retrieve deleted files.
- Have you deleted files from Recycle Bin or emptied the Recycle Bin?
Recycle Bin provides an option called as “Empty the Recycle Bin” option to restore the storage space wasted by unnecessary files by deleting those files from Recycle Bin. You might have accidentally emptied Recycle Bin instead of deleting some files from it resulting in data loss. Otherwise, you might have accidentally deleted folder that had your excel files from your Recycle Bin. In these cases, you need data recovery software to get back your deleted files.
The following tips gives you precise instructions and information on how to retrieve deleted files from your hard drive
1) First and best thing is to stop using that hard drive from where you have accidentally deleted. This is because, saving any new data may overwrite the already existing files on hard drive that may reduce the chances of data recovery.
2) Make use of relevant data recovery tool to retrieve deleted files
- While selecting data recovery tool, make sure that it is read-only software
- Do not install data recovery tool on same drive from where the files have been accidentally deleted to avoid overwriting of old files
- After recovering deleted files using data recovery software, do not save those recovered files on same drive from where you have deleted the files
Excel file recovery software is powerful file recovery tool that can retrieve deleted excel files from your hard drive. The software can also recover deleted .xls and .xlsx files from other storage devices like pen drives, memory cards etc. Download free demo version of Excel file recovery software to start recovery of deleted excel files by clicking here.
- After downloading and launching the Excel file recovery tool, select “Recover Files” option and then in order to recover deleted excel files select “Recover Deleted Files” option
- Now, select the hard drive from where you want to retrieve deleted excel files. Once the file recovery is completed, view recovered files to estimate recovery results.
You need to follow some precautions in order to avoid data loss in future
- Take backup of important files
- Always disable “Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted” to avoid data loss due to accidental deletion of files
- Safely turn off your computer